Sunday, December 5, 2010

"With a little help from my friends"

It's been about two and a half months since my last post. I'd hoped to lose about 5 more pounds then and guess what? I've lost another 16. This has truly been an amazing journey - now down 246 pounds from my high weight. I continue to feel great - can't wait for my next set of labs!! I never thought I'd say that!!

This new body of mine never ceases to surprise me. My left hand ring size is now a 6 - it was an 8 in Junior High school. Most of my clothes (that actually fit) are a misses medium size - shocking. Darn that Fern - she's won the dinner bet and I hate it when she's right - I'll never hear the end of it. ;) I'm discovering that I can't get away with that old "I have big bones" excuse. They seem to be protruding in the oddest ways/places these days and remarkably enough I'm beginning to think I may be fine boned - wow.

John and I went to see the latest and greatest Harry Potter movie at our local IMAX theater this week. I haven't been to a movie theater in years. When last we did so, I was barely able to squeeze into the seat and couldn't get out of it without a lot of help from the chair in front of me and John. This was a very different experience - plenty of room on the seat to spare and the width between the outside of my shoulders easily fit against the back of the chair. We were able to use our cup holder in between us - didn't need the space for my girth to hang over. I was a wee bit afraid that the smell of popcorn would lead me into temptation and was delightfully surprised to find that water was just fine - no cravings at all.

We had a great time at the Tasters Guild dinner on John's birthday this week. The photos in today's blog are courtesy of our dear friends Susan Mountain and Tom Regner from that evening. The beautiful pearls that I'm wearing in these were my mom's - I couldn't even fasten them around my neck pre-surgery. I enjoyed myself thoroughly that night, sampling each of the five courses and bringing most of each home as leftovers, passing on the what-I'm-told-were fabulous champagnes that were poured. In general I'm eating pretty much whatever I want now, with the exception of greasy foods and bread. The latter just swells up too much for comfort in my new stomach and the former makes me "dump" - a very less-than-pleasant experience. I feel so fortunate to have had such great success with this medical procedure. I can easily live with those two restrictions forever if need be.

I am still struggling with the consequences of that stupid fall that happened in June. With physical therapy and a couple of steroid injections I can now walk for 8 minutes (almost to the second!) without my hip hurting. I do still seem to be getting better, but the instant gratification queen that is Gail is pretty annoyed that I'm not back to 100% yet - 6 months does seem like it's more than enough recovery time to me. The doctor tells me to be grateful in that I am still getting better, so I keep trying to remind myself of that. My knee and my back bother me occasionally also. I can't predict what will trigger either of those. I definitely advise against falling after 30 and without enough padding to cushion the blow...

Last night was yet another wonderful celebration of John's birthday. Some truly outstanding friends joined us to make his day complete. We all "tolerated" a round of Beatles Trivial Pursuit - all of us against John and to none of our surprise he severely trounced us all. We are the luckiest couple on earth to be blessed with such wonderful friends. We "get by with a little help from our friends" indeed. I can't thank any of you enough for all of the support you've given to both me and to John throughout this journey. I can't wait to see where the next twists and turns take us!


With a little help from my friends - The Beatles

What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends.

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.

What do I do when my love is away.
(Does it worry you to be alone)
How do I feel by the end of the day
(Are you sad because you're on your own)
No, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna to try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.

Would you believe in a love at first sight?
Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time.
What do you see when you turn out the light?
I can't tell you, but I know it's mine.
Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm I get high with a little help from my friends,
Oh, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody?
I just need someone to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Ooh, I get high with a little help from my friends
Yes I get by with a little help from my friends,
with a little help from my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment