Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Auld Lang Syne - is it right that old times be forgotten?

2007


2004


2003


Happy New Year! And 2011 is indeed a happy one so far. I wish you all you wish for for yourself - and more.

Yesterday was my take-care-of-gail day and the results are grand. I received the numbers from my last set of Labs and everything continues to move well in the health space. My diabetes medication is being reduced again because my A1c was 5.8 - another new (low!) record for me. My thyroid med was also reduced. My triglycerides still aren't perfect but they're down to 156 - another great improvement - I weigh less than that now!! On the record, I've now lost 254 pounds and I feel great.

With any luck at all I'll be back amongst the employed population next week (timing depends on completion of a pretty thorough background check). I will become a commuter, taking BART into San Francisco every day. I feel very fortunate in having had multiple offers to choose from. There were pros and cons to each job, but in the end I selected this one because I was really impressed with everyone I met that I'd be working with, the job sounds fun and interesting, and the benefits are amazing. I will be eligible for retirement compensation (fully vested!) in 15 months and if I stay 10 years will be eligible for retiree medical benefits for both John and I. John has an interview for a short-term contract job today too, so fingers crossed...

As part of the interview process for one of these positions I made my first post-op air trip last week. What a non-event that turned out to be - and that is a very wonderful thing. It's a lot easier to fly when you fit into one seat and can stand in the waiting line to board the plane. I didn't need a seat-belt extender and in fact and plenty of room to spare with the standard belt. I was able to sit in my favorite aisle seat on the outbound flight and the flight attendants and other passengers didn't jostle me once. I could cross my legs and the lap tray didn't stop half way down because there was no tummy in the way. On the way home the flight was fully booked so I had to sit in a middle seat - and neither of my fellow-fliers looked at me with abject horror when I asked to do so. I am truly enjoying these non-events that keep happening. "Normal" isn't half-bad! ;)

Surviving the temptations of the holiday season wasn't too difficult. It was harder than last year when I never felt like eating, but I managed to continue to lose a wee bit of weight and really enjoy small portions of some pretty wonderful things. This year I was able to cook again too - I baked lots of yummy things and I've made several pots of hearty yummy soups. My food restrictions continue with fried and/or greasy food, but I find that very easy to live with. If I can never eat a slice of pizza again, you won't hear any complaints from me. This new body of mine is still a bit alien, but I love it!! I feel 20 years younger - at least!

I think I look a lot younger too. I was interviewed for our weight loss surgery program's newsletter, and they asked for some before and after shots to include. Susan was kind enough to share some that she'd been even kinder in not sharing with me at the time they were taken. You may think it odd (I know I do), but I truly had no concept of just how large I'd become. These will serve as great reminders if I'm ever tempted to go back...

I think it's important to remember old times and old friends. Thanks for your continuing support. I never would have been able to do this without you...

The English tranlation (minimalist version from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne) of Robert Burns' Auld Lang Syne


Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
and surely I’ll buy mine ! (GME: my water's generally free! ;) )
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine ;
But we’ve wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine ;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
And give us a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

No comments:

Post a Comment