"Getting to know you, getting to know all about you." - Oscar Hammerstein
Day 72
Thanks to my (wonderful) endocrinologist, I just might have a wonderful new PCP!!! I had my initial visit with her today and what a breath of fresh air! She may just have given me the very best new patient visit I've ever had with any MD short of the gynecological oncologist I met in 1987 (he will be hard to ever top). We spent an hour together. During the visit she called my (wonderful) endocrinologist to consult with him since he knows me and my history pretty well. He wasn't available so she left him a message.
Results from initial visit: a referral to a real cardiologist for real cardiac clearance (vs. the cardio in a traveling box I had been scheduled for at the old PCP's office yesterday -- I'm so glad I canceled it). I'll be seeing him next week. She spent more than an hour with me. Performed an EKG. Looked at my wounds. Thoroughly reviewed my last two sets of labs with me. Concurred that she feels I am a good candidate for the surgery. Gave me a lab slip to test the kidney functions again in a week. Told me what to ask the nutritionist about tomorrow. Gave me some tips to try to help with the leg pain I've been having. Had a real dialogue -- give and take -- trying to get to know me. Yay!!
The old PCP finally called me yesterday to report on the lab results from last Friday -- the same ones my endo was copied on and he had called me Monday. The ordering physician often receives the results a day earlier from the lab than anyone that's copied... so why did he call me two days later than my endo, especially since he knew how upset I was by the first set of tests? Wouldn't you think a doctor would at least have his staff call to let someone in distress know that there was good news? I am so glad that I don't have to see him again!!
The (I am hoping will be wonderful) new PCP just called to share the discussion she had with my endo. Follow up -- and the same day no less! :) It is a wonderful thing. I may just have that primary care partner that I have been hoping for now.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Finding a doctor who "cares" is so improtant. I have never had one, and questioned if they exist at all. You really need a doctor that will do more than "practice medicine" on you---- a partner who clearly sees you as a person. (And, a wonderful woman!) Where do I send the Old PCP hate mail?
ReplyDeleteThanks Susan. I could not agree with you more! I had a wonderful doc for the first decade we lived here -- and then he closed his practice to insurance-paid patients and became a concierge doctor. This is my third try to find someone as good or better than him -- I am hopeful that I've succeeded!!
ReplyDelete