Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Our job is not to straighten each other out, but to help each other up."

Day 62

"Our job is not to straighten each other out, but to help each other up."
- Neva Cole

Who's Neva Cole? I have no idea... but I surely am blessed to have so many friends that think like her... thanks to all of you who responded to my first blog entry with such wonderful, caring words of support. I know I'm going to need a lot of help on this journey, and I feel very lucky to know deep in my heart that you are all out there ready to help me up as I need it.

One of the questions the shrink asked me during the pre-op psych eval was, "Who is your support team?" This was followed by, "Who will be your saboteurs?" I am still humbled by the thought that a number of people come to mind in response to the first question (John being number one on the list of course!) and only a couple in response to the second.


PCP saga continued...


It's definitely
time to get a new Primary Care Physician (PCP). He finally called me back Friday night and started the conversation by chastising me for bugging him on a holiday, only lightly backing down when I asked him if he heard me state in my first message that I was doing so because my endo directed me to do so because he was concerned. Then he went into a tirade about specialists only wanting to take care of the health issues related to their specialty rather than the whole person... sheesh. After 10 minutes of useless blathering he finally said, yeah, you had better do what you've already been told to do and "I'll call you back Monday afternoon after I return to my office." When I asked him again whether I should stop the diuretic I'm on in the meantime he paused and said "I guess it won't hurt -- you won't blow up over the weekend." Such great words of encouragement... I wish I were still in an HMO so I could complain to someone about him. Unfortunately, I need him too much this month so will deal with him as best I can until August 1 and then switch PCPs.

Suffice it to say no status changes on the checklist from Friday. Who would have thought your own PCP might be one of your saboteurs? I never did!

No comments:

Post a Comment