Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"What greater gift than the love of a cat."

"What greater gift than the love of a cat." - Charles Dickens
(Today's quote is offered in memory of Susan and Tom's beloved Boots. He'll be missed.)


Day 84

Another see-saw kind of day on the journey...

Started off at the wound care center. Two of the three wounds are officially considered "healed" now - hallelujah!! He minimally debrided the third and commented that it's shrunk signifcantly - fairly good news. He is definitely on the AR side - nothing but "perfect" skin will do for him. I guess that's a good thing. I'm off the hook for two more weeks now before having to hike back to Walnut Creek to visit the center.

Received a call with mixed news from my new PCP. The creatinine level was in "normal" range - yay. The urea nitrogen was not - 30 vs. the normal of 7-25. Not too bad I suppose. Orders: continue with high protein diet for two more weeks and re-test, consuming more fluids along the way. OK then. I suspect I'll float away - please send me a lifeline if you see me in the middle of the Pacific, OK?

Received the call back from the GI specialist who confirmed the lab report was not in error, , but not to worry... 90% of us have hiatal hernias and unless they're a big problem we'll never know it. Interesting. "If" it bothers me, go on the low acid diet... and if not, don't worry. That was good news. I love my citrus, tomatoes and fresh crisp apples!! I realize I won't be able to tolerate any of those post-surgically for a while, so I really don't want to cut them out earlier than I have to. I must confess that I do feel a bit more motivated to avoid the temptation of those yummy pizzas now. I mentioned earlier that the wound care doctor did his fellowship with the same practice my surgeon is in I think. He always asks what's new in the journey and when I mentioned this to him he said it was no big deal - anything that looks out of whack will be repaired just as a matter of course by the surgeon performing the bariatric procedure. Seemingly they do this all the time. Gotta love it - one stop shopping! :)

1 comment:

  1. All this is great news! So glad that your "wounds" are healing without any more "procedures." (I hope.)

    In pre-computer daze my mother was diagnosed with a haital hernia. What a horrible name for something that is so common in so many people. She took an enzyme supplement and tums for years. I probably have one too, Zantac is favorite drug after eating too much of certain things. Glad they can "fix" yours along with the surgery.

    Thanks for the nice Boots sentiment. We feel so fortunate to have enjoyed his company for so long.

    ReplyDelete