Saturday, August 1, 2009

Counting French premiers or sheep?

Sleep is perverse as human nature,
Sleep is perverse as legislature....
So people who go to bed to sleep
Must count French premiers or sheep,
And people who ought to arise from bed
Yawn and go back to sleep instead.
~Ogden Nash, Read This Vibrant Exposé

Day 88

Well tonight's the big night... sleep study time. Shall I count French premiers or sheep? What a silly thought... thanks to Ogden for the giggle. And thanks to my friend (who shall remain un-named to protect the innocent) who sent this great sentiment to me this morning:

Don't have any dreams about any hot dudes or anything that would push your heart rate up and affect your breathing!!"

That brought me an even bigger giggle! I shall try to remember both when sleep anxiety hits tonight! I still don't know how they can expect you to actually fall asleep hooked up to all that apparatus knowing you're under observation... I hope to heck that sleeping pill the doc gave me is a strong one!

Next Thursday I "get" to have the induced heart stress test with PET scan. Can't wait (not). John is taking some family sick time so he can join me and provide some moral support. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful partner.

It will be nice to have both of these hurdles behind me - hopefully they're the last two major tests I need to get through before we can actually seek a surgery date. And even more hopefully I pass both of them so there are no impediments to having the surgery.

I am beginning to feel like I am going to float away from all of the liquids I am consuming. I will retest my blood either Wednesday or Thursday this week, depending on when I can break away from work for a few minutes. I expect next week to be crazy as we're reporting on our July results and kicking off 2010 planning and officially starting a swap in portfolios we are managing between a colleague and me. There won't be a lot of dull moments, that I am sure of.

Sweet dreams everyone...



2 comments:

  1. How about taking your softy nap blanket (the blue one,) your own pillow, and maybe a sleep mask? Bring the comforts of home to the sleep center. Dream about walking for miles on a beach at the end of this "journey." The warm sand between your toes and the sound of the waves on the shore. Beats counting sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the visual Susan! I am bringing my pillow and blanket -- they encourage that. Can't wear a sleep mask because they have sensors on your eyelids to detect the various levels of sleep. I love the sound of waves on the shore so will definitely keep that idea handy! And not only is it better than counting sheep, it's better than counting French premiers too! :)

    ReplyDelete