Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Sleep is like the unicorn - it is rumored to exist, but I doubt I will see any"

"Sleep is like the unicorn - it is rumored to exist, but I doubt I will see any"
— Anonymous

Day 98

I picked up my new demon bi-pap machine yesterday morning and started using it last night. I fear sleeping in bed is going to be as elusive as those unicorns I've always loved... if last night is any example.

I found it "OK" in my recliner. I experienced some useful sleep there... and then in the middle of the night I made my usual transition to the bed and it was all over. John was great, encouraging me and giving me some advice from his own original few nights, but unfortunately that didn't help. I struggled to calm down enough to breathe a little while lying on my back, but as soon as I rolled over (and I am a side-sleeper) I felt like I was suffocating.

I think I may pass on the attempt tonight in hopes that I can acclimate myself sufficiently in the recliner to the sensations of forced breathing through my nose in hopes of feeling a little more refreshed tomorrow morning. It's a darn good thing that I have motivation in the prospective surgery or I'd probably exercise the 30 day return option and keep on with my seeming inability to breathe properly while I sleep.

I went to the Lab today and had blood drawn for the kidney function retests and the tests the sleep doctor ordered (iron and B12). The tech was able to draw on her second attempt after digging around a little too long on my hand the first time. Ouch. I drank tons of fluids today (as I have been), so fingers crossed that the kidney function is good this time and I don't show any signs of dehydration.

I am looking forward to Thursday and my return to the cardiologist for the results of the stress test. This is the last major hurdle for my approvals, so keep your fingers crossed on this one too please!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to imagine what it would be like to sleep wearing a mask forced to breathe through my nose all night! Maybe when I've had a bad cold and couldn't breathe much at all? And how can you possibly stop sleeping on your side. A Pavlovian trained behavior---stay on back, get air? Getting encouragement and tips from John must be helpful. Your bedroom must look like a laboratory at night! Quick kiss, then "Goodnight Honey, all hooked up?" Ha!

    Sorry that the Ativan didn't help with the stress test. I'm hoping the results are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan -- see yesterday's post -- thankfully my heart is in great shape and I'm cleared for surgery!!

    The breathing thing is a pain... I have temporarily given up on bed so I can stay on my back in the recliner. Last night was not too bad -- I woke up a couple of times but no panic attacks for the first time all week. Maybe I will get used to this darn thing after all!!

    ReplyDelete