Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those in touch with it."

"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

Day 91

OK, so I'm a wimp. I freely admit it.

I received the patient instructions in the mail last night to prepare for my drug-induced cardiac stress test coming up on Thursday. OMG! It turns out that it's not a PET machine, it's a PET/CT machine (bigger and thus scarier to me). It goes on to read "Sedation is almost never needed (wanna bet); however, if you are extremely claustrophobic (and I am!) or tend to have difficulty remaining still (while lying flat on your back I do!), consult your doctor about the advisability of taking a tranquilizer before coming to the facility."

So you know who was on the phone to the doc's office first thing this morning groveling for drugs! It took a couple of hours, but the nurse finally called me back to let me know the good doctor has ordered some Atavin for me. I hope it works!!

Another instruction was to call the facility and let them know if I have asthma for further instructions. So I called and it turns out they want me to bring my rescue inhaler just in case. The med I take is non-steroidal so I can continue to take that before the procedure. While we were chatting I asked why the scheduled exam didn't refer to the adenosine the doctor ordered. Some good news here: they use regaenoson instead of adenosine. I did some research on that and this sounds like a good thing - equally good image results with fewer patient side affects of shorter duration. Can't beat that!

So, it sounds like I may actually be able to go forward with this procedure. I may be a wimp, but hopefully I'll at least be a more relaxed wimp now!! With any luck, the Atavin will have a memory wiping affect on me as well as the relaxation. I have never taken a tranquilizer, and reading about this one it notes that a potential side affect is short term memory loss. Apparently this is one of the drugs they can inject into you when you're undergoing anaesthesia to help forget the experience. Fingers crossed!! With a lot of good vibes from my friends, the joy of drugs in action and knowing the side affects will be shorter I think this just may be doable!!

2 comments:

  1. Atavin is an excellent anxiety reliever, I have seen it in action with a dying elderly woman who was gasping for breath. She became peaceful and calm, and I might add, more than a little out of touch with reality.

    Avoiding drug side effects is another good thing. Hey, you are a working lady with a hard and stressful job! You don't need or want a drug hangover on Friday.

    My fingers have stayed crossed since you started this "journey" and will remain so until post surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Susan! What a dramatic change for the elderly woman... that's somewhat encouraging (not the dying part, but certainly the peaceful and calm part!).

    ReplyDelete