Day 108
Kismet? I remembered the name of the gynecologist that helped me with my horrible ovary problem 12 years ago at 4:59 PM last night. I had really liked him, but he stopped taking HMO coverage shortly after the procedure back then so I had to leave him. This year we switched to an EPO (Exclusive Provider Organization -- kind of like a PPO, but although more restrictive, way lower out of pocket costs). Tried calling but of course the staff had already switched the phone over to their answering service.
I tried again this morning shortly after they opened, and although he wasn't in today his Nurse Practitioner (NP) was and had just had a 10:30 AM cancellation -- else I'd have to wait a few weeks. Thankfully I was successful today (for a change!) in my quest to keep Fridays meeting free to catch up on email and other work, so was able to jump on the opportunity to go see her.
She was great! I know computers are wonderful too since they help me earn a decent paycheck, and in this case they came through for me again as the office had automated patient records -- even those from 12 years ago -- so she knew my ancient history and I only had to update her on recent developments. The bad news is we only have a 50/50 chance of having gotten a good enough sample for the Pap smear as my anatomy's challenging to work with -- for once not because of my weight, but because of just plain old aging and how I'm built. She was so encouraging though!! We have to wait about a week for the results, (here we go again!), but if it wasn't good enough she'll make sure I can get into the doctor quickly and we'll figure out a plan B. I love her confidence -- she said (although I realize she has no real influence) that we won't let this stupid test be the one thing that gets in the way of moving forward. A woman after my own heart!! :)
My new PCP just called with the latest Lab results. Creatinine still normal, BUN still a little high and sodium almost normal (134 vs. range of 135 -146). Directions are to keep on keeping on -- continue eating per the plan, liberalizing salt slightly and sticking with the high protein diet.
I thumbed through the binder that I was provided with yesterday describing the Valley Care program and was pleasantly surprised to see all of the slides for the $200 class were printed and included. Of course I'm even more irritated because as suspected it is all duplicative, but at least I can read through it over this new week and take the test (have to pass with 80% -- worse than my PMP!) as soon as they accept me into the program officially (or as yesterday's RN would have put it "if" they accept me).
I forgot to post a couple of other new action item yesterday.
- I have to contact my pharmacist and go through my meds with them to make sure the form is proper. I can't swallow anything over 10mm for the first few months. If they're too big and not cutable or crushable I have to contact my PCP and get the delivery mechanism revised.
- I have to start practicing extending every meal's consumption time to 30 minutes -- even liquid ones. Apparently this is a guideline for all of us -- it takes 30 minutes for food to hit our stomachs and for us to know we're full.
- I have to start practicing eating without an accompanying beverage and waiting for an hour to start drinking again. The new pouch will only hold 2 or 3 ounces of food at first so a) there's not enough room for food and water and b) you don't want to risk washing the food out and losing the sense of fullness or nutritive value it provides.
- I have to start practicing chewing food to the consistency of applesauce -- any large particles are likely to cause a stricture -- not a good thing obviously.
No comments:
Post a Comment